List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: Yet another desktop BG dialog
From:       Poletti Don <Don.Poletti () comverse ! com>
Date:       2003-02-21 15:32:15

>On Friday 21 February 2003 08:37, Keunwoo Lee wrote:
>> In KDE, the desktop background has three modes: color, wallpaper, and
>> blended---or, actually, four, if you count running an
>external program.
>> In any of these four modes, some tasks cannot be performed.
>For example,
>> in wallpaper-only mode, the user's selection of color has no effect
>> whatsoever on the desktop; the color-changing task is not available.
>
>No, if you use a wallpaper that doesn't cover the complete
>desktop, the color
>does have an effect for those parts of the desktop that aren't
>covered by
>wallpaper. Regardless of blending options.

Waldo's comments are quite accurate however since 90% of
the wall papers do cover the whole screen there is a perception that
that color is not needed when wall paper is selected. So while
this is the correct UI for the functionality its a confusing UI
in 90% of the cases. So I think we need to come up with something
to make this situation more intuitive.

Some possibilities
1) Check the wall paper, if it completely covers the desktop then
gray out the color widgets. I don't think this is a great idea and wouldn't
work for multiple wall paper. Actually I think multiple wall paper is
not done right since you probably want a diffent color for each wallpaper
but
that's a separate topic.

2) I think someone suggested separate check boxes for color and wallpaper.
The
problem being that if color is checked off and wall paper is selected that
has transparent sections there will be problems. I think this can be solved
simply by using a default color in this case, probably black. I think this
would make the interface more intuitive.