List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Delete, move and merge kedit, kate and kwrite
From:       Datschge <datschge () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-02-19 23:55:06

> neither. the various descriptions of how Close/Quit work that were being
> posted were not  accurate e.g.:

Correcting me directly would help more. After all we are discussing usability
points, and if something is not clear it only shows that something can be
improved.

> "In general KDE consists only of SDI apps so Close is going to close the
> current window (or windows alike widge like tabs) while Quit quits the
> application as a whole"
>
> close does not close a window, it closes a document.
> quit doesn't not kill the process (or all the windows), it closes a window.

This rule isn't consistent among all KDE apps, otherwise we wouldn't discuss
this very matter here now nor would you need to correct me.

> once everyone is on the same page regarding how Close/Quit actually works
> then i'm personally more than excited to engage in both discussion and work
> on the matter.

I don't see how you intend to improve usability among clueless users if you
think there is a need to teach people about the correct way Close/Quit work.
If something isn't obvious UI wise then it's a usability issue. And this is
the usability list, so can we please talk about how to resolve these
usability issues?

--
KDE 3.0 was  the  breakthrough  in technology
KDE 3.1 was  the  breakthrough  in  eye candy