List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Delete, move and merge kedit, kate and kwrite
From:       Datschge () gmx ! net
Date:       2003-02-19 3:01:37

> Right now, it can be a bit of guesswork exactly what Close or Quit refer
to,
> and it only gets muddier with apps that do things like minimizing to the
> systray (the mixer or kopete) or that are started as an applet but have
main
> windows too (knetload, knotes - is it clear that closing that main window
> will leave the applet running?  I'm often unsure on this one, until I try
> it.)
>
> There's not a single solution that will solve all of this, but making the
menu
> entries much more explicit, adding a filename or application name as
> appropriate would make clear the consequence of choosing a particular menu
> item.

There is a lack of guide by guidelines. Which bring us back to the proposal
I sent in 17 days ago:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-usability&m=104414508624641

As for the Close/Quit dilemma I'd suggest using a similar solution like the
one donw with Konqueror when containing several tab: Before closing the
window/quitting the app reminding the user that he's going to close several
tabs/windows at once which he might not want to do. To make that more consistence
with other behaviors Close should be greyed out when it's the app's last
window anyway.

In general KDE consists only of SDI apps so Close is going to close the
current window (or windows alike widge like tabs) while Quit quits the
application as a whole. Consequently graying out Close when it has the same effect like
Quit would be a great hint about what to expect.

And for making people like Lauri happy I suggest keep all apps in MacOS menu
bar mode alive even after all windows are closed. And then we can also add
some kind of quit-unused-app-after-it-idled-for-x-min feature. ;)

Regards, Datschge

PS: I've a semester break now and like to focus on KDE usability (not much
else I can do anyway since I'm happy enough at least to be able to ~read~
source code). Since usability.kde.org is practically unusable for making
up-to-date discussions I'll use my own webspace, introduce the issues I found to the
responsible people for further discussion myself, updating my site
respectively.

--
KDE 3.0 was  the  breakthrough  in technology
KDE 3.1 was  the  breakthrough  in  eye candy