List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Checkboxes and clickable area
From:       Eric Ellsworth <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2003-02-17 15:14:41

On Sunday 16 February 2003 04:35 pm, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 01:49:50PM -0500, Eric Ellsworth wrote:
> > > Being able to click on the lable if cool. Isn't it possible to restrict
> > > the size of the checkbox ?
> >
> > Agreed.
> > So
> > a) how does the checkbox know it's being restricted?  IIRC, there some
> > setting in UI files that govern how widgets scale, but I could never get
> > them to work as I thought they ought to, so I can't be a reference point
> > b) where should the region accepting the click actually end?
>
> End of label (begin of).

That's way's certainly sensible, but if the label's really small, you lose
target area for the checkbox.  Just to explore some different thoughts, what
about other ways to give visual clues, like a like dashed grey border around
the active area when you hover?

And to solve the specific problem that brought Carsten to grief, :)

> I find this behavior rather irritating (I accidentally toggled checkboxes,
> when I just wanted to give focus to a dialog) and submitted a bugreport to
> TT. Unfortunately, that behavior is "Windows compatibility".

shouldn't checkbox-toggling only work if the dialog is the active window?
That is, should a click to raise the window also toggle the checkbox?

EE