List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Moving from tab to tab
From:       Eric Christopherson <rakko () charter ! net>
Date:       2003-02-10 19:33:33

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 02:00:44PM +0100, Philippe Fremy wrote:

> 	Hi,
>
> We have a big inconstency in KDE, and it affects one of the most useful
> feature recentely added : tabs!
>
> In konsole, we move from tab to tab using shift + cursor left / cursor right
>
> In Kopete, Martjin told me they use CTRL + page up / page down
>
> I just read in kde-cvs that kbabel use CTRL + / -
>
> KSirc uses ALT + cursor left / cursor right, just like XChat.

Hmm. My version of xchat doesn't seem to have *any* way of doing it, which
annoys me.

> I havn't figured it out in konqueror yet (is it possible ?).

Actually, I just found this out. It seems to be ctrl-[ and ctrl-], by
default.

> Mozilla uses CTRL + pageup / down,  like Kopete

Wow. I didn't know there were so many ways to do it. I prefer
alt-left/right, which is what the Linux virtual terminal/console driver
uses, and so I changed Konsole from the default to use it. I wouldn't mind
using it in other apps as well.

> We urgently need to standardised on that and apply the standards to all
> apps. I personally like the konsole way, which is easy and unobtrusive
> Besides, it is one of the first application in KDE to have it. I don't
> think any application is using this shift thing yet, so many application
> could keep their current way of switching tab and adding this standard one.

You're right that they should be standardized; there should be just one
system-wide (KDE-wide) set of tab operations. However, what exact keys to
use for them should be up to the user.

Speaking of Konsole, wouldn't it be appropriate to use the actual tab
widgets that other apps (e.g. Konqueror) have? The session "buttons" (for
lack of better term) in Konsole appear to have nearly identical
functionality to tabs, so I don't know why they have to look and feel
different.

--
Furrfu!		r a k k o  at  c h a r t e r  dot  n e t