List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Proposal: kde guide systray update
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-02-04 10:14:59

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 02:08, Datschge@gmx.net wrote:
> As for your freewheeling I don't really understand what your point is.
> Yes, the panel can be extended with simple icon, push button offering
> simple UI's for achieving/accessing something as well as complect UI's
> like KMix etc. All of them are obviously not related to the systray.

I try to find a criteria that defines when you should be using a systray entry
and when you should use something like a push button in the panel.

One of those criteria is "provides information about a dynamic process", which
I think is fairly good. The other one is "provides instant access to a
dynamic process".

I tried to point out that "instant access" alone isn't a very good criteria
because the same could, design wise, be achieved with panel-buttons as well.
(Implementation wise it would be more difficult to get the desired response
time with the latter)

Aaron gave an example of KMail and KSCD. KMail meets the "provides information
about a dynamic process" criteria. The KSCD systray entry does, as far as I
know, not provide any status information, so it should qualify via the
"provides instant access to a dynamic process" criteria.

An interesting aspect that Aaron mentions is that KSCD offers multiple
operations. (play/pause/next/prev) I think that is an aspect that makes you
want to use a systray entry instead of e.g. a simple pushbutton.

Other than that, Aaron seems to disagree with the "ever present" notion that I
postulated, I will go into that in my next mail.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org -=|[ SuSE, The Linux Desktop Experts ]|=- bastian@suse.com