List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Proposal: kde guide systray update
From:       Datschge () gmx ! net
Date:       2003-02-04 1:08:56

Thank you for the first round of responses. Here are my answers. =)

Aaron:
> how would the animation referred to be provided and look like?

The best choice is the already existing windows animation/genie effect
you get when minimizing a window to the taskbar. The code for this
exist already and users are familiar with its purpose.

> how would applications such as kmail use a systray icon? currently
> it offers a simple notification in the system tray that makes
> absolutely no sense not to be there unless there is a kmail process
> (window) running.

It absolutely makes no sense to use the systray if there's a window
already. If there's a window then it appears in the taskbar, so use
the taskbar to deliver simple notifications through changing/blinking
icons.

> (oh, and there is a typo in the original and in yours: "non-document
> specific applitions" should be "non-document specific applications")

Thanks, I corrected that in my local copy.

> this is an implementation detail that the user should not be
> bothered with IMO. there should either be a systray icon or their
> shouldn't be. it should either always be there, or it should
> disappear when the last kopete window closes

I mentioned the point of that particular usability report in our
discussion before and Eric asked me to add it to your Kopete usability
report, so here we go.

Btw Aaron, I was looking for related guidelines for Gnome and didn't
find any (only some notes regarding accessibility using a keyboard).
Should I introduce my draft to the open-hci mailing list for discussion
as well?

Eric:
> Do we have session management guidelines, and if so where might they
> be found?

Yes, and it's pretty clear as well:

http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/basics/settings.html#sessions

Waldo:
> Based on the following phrase in these updated guidelines:
>
> "Systray applications are so called GUI daemons, i.e. they are
> <b>automatically started</b> as part of KDE's start up (without
> showing anything but its systray icon) and represent services
> [snip]"
>
> I would say that they should not be part of session management
> sessions.

Exactly.

> I would stress the purpose of a systray thingy a bit more, something
> like: "The purpose of a systray entry is to have a non-intrusive
> user interface presence that is always available to the user."

Great sentence, I'll add it to the current (-ly unsatisfying) short
description. =)

> This implies that no specific action (e.g. application launch)
> should be required to get it, but that it is autostarting by
> definition. (You mention that already) (Always there, time wise)
>
> And it implies that it by definition has a "on all desktops"
> behaviour. (Always there, spatially) That's pretty much inherent to
> the current implementation but I think that usability wise that is
> an important factor.

Yes, indeed. Thanks for crafting a sentence including all those
"implications". ;)

As for your freewheeling I don't really understand what your point is.
Yes, the panel can be extended with simple icon, push button offering
simple UI's for achieving/accessing something as well as complect UI's
like KMix etc. All of them are obviously not related to the systray.
Or did I miss something?

Cheers, Datschge =)

--
KDE 3.0 was  the  breakthrough  in technology
KDE 3.1 was  the  breakthrough  in   eyecandy