List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: New K-Menu layout suggestion
From:       Eric Ellsworth <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2003-02-02 17:07:51

> In anycase. Didn't we say everything should be available from kmenu? I
> think this is a good policy.

I've heard this point articulated several times on this thread, and I really
have to disagree.  There are literally thousands of applications that ship
with a typical Linux distro, and hundreds of KDE apps.  More are added to the
KDE's CVS all the time.

The average user does not need to know about "everything".  The average user
needs to know about programs he needs for a particular task.  If apps want to
do some marketing to show that they are available for certain task, great,
there's space for that. Put a hint in KSplash, or show a 'Did you know?"
KPassivePopup with info on this program, or an appfinder into KPersonalizer.

Second of all, there are already two ways to find "everything":

1) Browse to the app in kfm and run it
2) Run KAppfinder to put items on the menu.

If the KMenu is meant ot be a catalog of what's available, then putting every
app on it makes sense.  I think it's  there to help users launch the apps
they need.  I'll be the first to say that it's very difficult to make a
defaul that covers the wide variety of needs that people have, but I don't
think that problem's intractable.

Don't reshuffle, remove.

EE