List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: more background dialog madness.. bwuhaha
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2003-02-01 2:18:44

On Friday 31 January 2003 06:41, Uno Engborg wrote:
>  Switch places for the "Backgroun Picture" group and the "Bacground Color"
> group. That way related settings will be grouped together. And as most
> people read from top to bottom they will aslo see tha least complex
> controls  first

blending is equally related to the picture you're using and the colour. of
course, if you aren't using a picture then blending doesn't mean anything.
however, i think most people are going to have a background picture (esp
since that is the default behaviour except on the lowest eye candy setting in
kpersonalizer?), so i move that to the top. i wonder if people change their
background pic or their background colours more often? IME it's the picture.

as for complexity, i find the picture and colour boxes equally complex thanks
to the pattern combobox in the colours area.

btw, color was first before this iteration. i switched them around as one of
two changes i made =)

> So my suggestion is instead to move the "Blend Picture With Background
> Color" group to  the "Advanced Options" just below the "Background Program"
> group.

this is where it was ... i could (more or less) easily move it back, but
having it hidden away on the advanced dialog makes it rather annoying to use
and makes the color settings seem rather useless...

> Now if we look at the "Advanced Options" dialog. First I'm not sure that
> you need, or eve should have the Monitor image in this dialog.  Having it

you're right, it isn't needed anymore... there is nothing in that dialog that
changes it now...

> in both the main dialog and the sub dialog could confuse users of which
> dialog they are using.

actually, i suggested waldo put it there originally because there were items
(blending) that affected the end result, but you couldn't see the changes
interactively anymore as the advanced dialog obscured the main dialog and
didn't create updates to be made in real time anyways...

> I also suggest that you put the "Memory Usage"  group last after the "Icon
> Text" as I think more users will understand how to use the  "Icon Text"
> settings  than the  "Memory Usage" settings.  Assuming the user reads in
> the top down he will not spot things he is not familliar with until last.

done...

> In either case it the name must be changed from "Icon Text" to "Desktop
> Icon Text" or the user will think that it applies to all icons.

done...

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein