List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Incorporating Klipper more tightly...
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-01-31 21:11:26

On Friday 31 January 2003 20:58, Datschge@gmx.net wrote:
> > and some general brokenness in the clipboard implementation (or design?)
> > Klipper pushes the clipboard system really hard and the latter didn't took
> > that too well.
>
> I can't say that that "fact" has been apparent to me...

We have had several releases where klipper triggered bugs which caused
applications/desktop freezes and Lubos recently posted a proposal to update
the clipboard protocol so that it would be able to catch clipboard changes.
Appearantly it isn't able to do that reliably at the moment.

> > Let's say that the technlogy surrounding klipper might not yet be mature
> > enough for tigther integration. (Or put otherwise, a lot of people have
> > not yet fully recovered from the mental scars it left behind.)
>
> I think the proposed integration won't turn off anyone since a usual click
> on the paste button or on the middle button should and will have the same
> effect as before. Only holding/moving the button will reveal the "global
> clipboard history list" in konqueror back/forward history list style.

Ok, update kdebase/klipper, install, start klipper and try:
	dcop klipper klipper getClipboardHistoryMenu
and
	dcop klipper klipper getClipboardHistoryItem 2

Now we only need to tie it to the button :)

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org -=|[ SuSE, The Linux Desktop Experts ]|=- bastian@suse.com