List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: background layout
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2003-01-31 0:45:35

On Thursday 30 January 2003 04.28, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> hi all...
>
> a new background dialog has been committed to CVS. there's a bit of a
> disagreement over some layout issues. screenshots can be seen at:
>
> 	http://urbanlizard.com/~aseigo/screens/bgdialog/
>
> i'd welcome some input.

All of your screen shots are truely horrible. They are all far too complex.

The KDE 3.1 background dialog is much better. I guess that the reason for your
redesign was that many newbie users can't handle tabs well.  I would not
argue against that. But this group of users you intend to help are not likely
to handle a dialog as complex as this one.

In the KDE 3.1 dialog the newbie will at least see the first tab. This  gives
him at least opportunity to change colors and even blend colors.

Then there is the "Icon Text" box. Even though it is convienient to be able to
change text color in the same dialog as you change background, this is the
last place I would look to configure this feature. I think most users  will
see the icon text and the icon background color as properties of the file and
not properties of the background. So I suggest that this should be moved to
the KDE Components/Filemanager  "Apperence"  tab. That way text color would
be configured in one place.

There is also the Advanced  button that I guess pop up another dialog. This is
even less usable than using tabs.

If we should make any changes to the 3.1 dialog it should be to allow multiple
selections in the list of desktops, so that more than one desktop cuoud be
configured at a time. Thsi is obviously a power suser feature, but it would
not be in the way of newbies.

Regards
Uno Engborg