List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KARE
From:       Carsten Wolff <wolff () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-01-30 22:42:57

On Thursday 30 January 2003 23:16, Imre, Nagy Jr. wrote:
> Greets back :)
>
> > luck - it's called Kpersonalizer.  The second screen refers to
> > processor
>
> I will check this and comment if that is what I was looking for.

kpersonalizer is a wizard-style application. As Eric already said, the
second page (the Eye-Candy-O-Meter :-) is mainly the part about
performance vs effects. The program detects the cpu-speed and availability
of the RENDER-extension in XFree and sets the "effects-slider" to an
(hopefully) appropriate value. With 200MHz CPUs it will default to level
5, if RENDER is available, else it will default to 1.
If people apply level 5 and afterwards find their desktop to slow, you
should advice them them to restart the "Desktop Settings Wizard" and set
the slider to the lowest level.
It might also be a little more performant to set the Desktop-style to "KDE
Classic" on the next page.

have fun,
Carsten.

--