List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kde-usability digest, Vol 1 #869 - 12 msgs
From:       David Hugh-Jones <hughjonesd () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-01-30 18:28:24

Waldo wrote:

> Well, neither really. The picture is placed on top of the background color,
> unless you use the blend option from the advanced section. Typically, I think
> you have the background picture in the middle surrounded with background
> color. Unless you tile the picture.

I didn't think of that. duh. OK, so leave it.

> > * Set up is two words
>
> So it should be "Set up Slide Show" ?

Yup. Or even "Set up slide show".

> > * Even with the context help, the options for wallpaper mode are
> > confusing.
> >
> > Just on this last point. Do we really need to have "tiled" and "centre
> > tiled"?
>
> I think "centre tiled" would cover both cases sufficiently. And I would rename
> it "Tiled" then :)

Hooray!

> > Are there times when this makes a noticeable difference? I can
> > see the point of "Maxpect", but do we need "Centred autofit" as opposed
> > to "centred"?
>
> What does it do? :-)

According to the context help, autofit shrinks the picture if necessary
to fit the desktop. I assume that there are people who just want the top
left corner of a huge picture showing. But I suggest that those people
can use the Gimp ;-)

> > Do we need "tiled maxpect"?
>
> I don't think so, but there is bound to be someone who thinks it's the best
> thing since sliced bread.

Quick! Get rid of it before they notice!

> > In any case, renaming the options would help. Maxpect is not an English
> > word.
>
> Maxpect refers to "the maximum possible resize which keeps the ratio between
> width and length that still fits completely on the screen". Resizing to the
> desktop perse might change the ratio between width and length.

Yeah, I get that, but maxpect still ain't English. Hmm. How about

"resize to fit screen(no stretching)"
and
"resize to fit screen (stretch if necessary)"

That is a bit verbose, but makes sense to humans I think.

> > This reminds me of another principle I would add for KControl options:
> >
> > * if you can't explain an option, it shouldn't exist
>
> Well, there are options that make sense but are hard to explain.

Yes, and it is worth putting a lot of effort in. But sometimes it is
just impossible, and if so, my view is - ditch the option, because if it
hasn't been explained, it can't be used anyway.

xx
Dave