List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: background layout
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-01-30 12:22:44

On Thursday 30 January 2003 04:28, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all...
>
> a new background dialog has been committed to CVS. there's a bit of a
> disagreement over some layout issues. screenshots can be seen at:
>
> 	http://urbanlizard.com/~aseigo/screens/bgdialog/
>
> i'd welcome some input.

1° I think all the color buttons should have the same size as in the original
version. Also I think the layout of the original Icon Text group looks better
because it keeps the color buttons aligned.

2° I would lower the preview monitor so that it's top aligns with the top of
the Background Color group. That way everything affected by the "All
Desktops" combobox is under that combobox.

3° I don't like the positioning of the "Setup Slide Show" button in
bg_new_smallerWidget.png Perhaps because in the widget style the combobox and
pushbutton look so much like each other, somehow I now expect a label in
front of "Setup Slide Show".

4° I don't like the empty space in the lower-right corner.

To solve 3° and 4°, maybe one could exchange "Background Picture" and
"Background Color", make "Background Picture" full width, move the preview
monitor so that it's top aligns with "Background Color".

Then "Background Picture" is wide enough so that you can put "Setup Slide
Show" to the right of "Picture".

(If can make a .ui file/screenshot if you send me the .ui file of
bg_new_smallerWidget.png)

Cheers,
Waldo
--