List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: usability report
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-01-29 23:12:31

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 15:56, Wilco Greven wrote:
> Maybe the real question should be: Why is Kopete using the systemtray?
> I could come up with the folllowing reasons:
> 1) To have a fixed place on the screen in which the minimized app lives.
> 2) The dock icon gives you easy access to the kopete's menu.
> 3) It can show a balloon with information when someone sends you a message.
> 4) Other IM apps do exactly the same.

5) It's a daemon-like application that most of the time has no window, but you
still need to be able to access it.

If you minimize a KMail composer you minimize a document, if you minimize a
Kopete window you minimize a chat or a contact list, but usually you just
want to get rid of all windows and just tell Kopete to sit in the corner and
do its job.

It depends on the taskbar usage pattern I guess. For me the taskbar is a list
of my "active" applications that I'm actively working with or that I
temporarily put aside (minimized). Daemons (klipper, kxkb, kopete, ... )
don't belong there in my opinion.

--
Martijn