List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kde-usability digest, Vol 1 #858 - 11 msgs
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-01-29 18:55:27

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 19:10, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 January 2003 05:34, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > look in the original menu of the application. That makes the usefullness
> > of this menu marginal, because it is almost just as fast to go to the
> > original menu in the first place.
>
> one of the things that really, really bugs me about the "Recent Apps" thing
> is that it only shows programs that are in the menu. i often launch apps
> from other apps (kaddressbook from kmail) and from the minicli. i want
> those to show up as well...
>
> what do you think about a desktop-wide "Recent Apps" list stored in KSycoca
> and created/managed by startServiceInternal in kapplication.cpp?

desktop-wide "Recent-Apps": yes
stored in ksycoca: no
managed by startServiceInternal: klauncher might be more efficient, that way
there is only one process that updates the stuff. Since klauncher has all the
service information (KService, loaded from ksycoca) it can also filter out
entries that shouldn't show up in menus.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org -=|[ SuSE, The Linux Desktop Experts ]|=- bastian@suse.com