List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE compared to BeOS: BeOS-Menu vs. K-Menu
From:       Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze () pandora ! be>
Date:       2003-01-28 19:29:53

Op dinsdag 28 januari 2003 19:37, schreef Lenny:

<snip>
> For KDE's k-menu i'd suggest something like:
>
> ----------------------
>
> | Applications -->
> | All/More Applications -->
> | Preferences -->
> |----------------------
> | Exit/Quit
> |----------------------
> | Recent Apps -->
> | Recent Documents -->
>
> ====----------------
>
> | K^ |
>
> -----
>
> "Applications" should only contain the most important apps like "Run
> commmand", "find", konqy, noatun, kate etc. While "All/More Applications"
> would contain all the thousands of other available apps.

Agreed.

> Preferences is very easy to find now.

Agreed.

> I would put Exit/Quit into the middle section. You don't use it that often
> (we should put the most important entries at both ends) and the danger to
> press it by accident is lower.

If you do that you will get first a pop-up...
I think it's better that it leaves beneath because you will save so mouse
movements...

> "Exit" or "Quit" because it leaves it open
> wether you want just to logout the user or shutdown the computer.

I think that Exit is one of the most used entries from the kmenu: users start
their applications with icons on the taskbar/desktop most of the time I
think...

> It's
> always the same entry to look for. "Just get me out of here".
> I even would put "Lock screen" into a "Exit" submenu/popup since you
> usually lock the screen when you plan to physically leave the room.

No, again the too much mouse movements statement...

> "Recent Apps" and "Recent Documents" are similar tasks and should look
> similar and be located near to each other. When we put them at the bottom
> they are as easy to find as "Applications" and "Preferences".

Agreed.

- --
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.

Jabber ID : sander@amessage.de ( www.jabber.org )