List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: BeOS and KDE compared: screenshots of trash and file context menu
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2003-01-28 15:24:05

On Tuesday 28 January 2003 14.20, kudling@kde.org wrote:
> Waldo Bastian <bastian@kde.org> schrieb am 28.01.2003, 14:17:14:
> > On Tuesday 28 January 2003 14:06, Luke Chatburn wrote:
> > > Yes, it is annoying, but going to context->rename, or
> > > context->properties can be even more so... Especially when you have
> > > lots of file management to do :)
> >
> > After renaming 3 files you might get annoyed and notice the "F2" after
> > "Rename" in the context menu.
>
> To cite the almighty BeOS again: it provides both ways. Via context
> menu->"Edit name" and via a second (not double) click.

As somebody thought that inline editing of filenames was kind of hidden
behavior I did a small very unscientific test today. I went down to the
computer lab for students studying Economics at Lund University and asked the
students working there to rename  a file. None of them used the context menu
(they used windows) or the the control key to do it. I also asked them if they
knew some other way of renaming the file, and out of the 10 people I asked
only two had another suggestion. And in both cases that involved opening the
file with a program and doing "Save as".

Regards
Uno Engborg