List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: BeOS and KDE compared: screenshots of trash and file context menu
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2003-01-27 15:33:15

On Monday 27 January 2003 12.29, kudling@kde.org wrote:
> > I don't understand what "Find File" does in the context menu. Is it
> > supposed to search in the selected directory? It doesn't do that, it
> > searches in the directory in which the selected item resides.
>
> Being in the context menu it sort of implies that searches are performed
> in the directory you click the rmb upon. I think that could go since a
> LMB on the directory to enter and then doing a find in the current
> directory isn't that a big deal... and it shouldn't be a that often
> action to justify it's existance in the context menu imho.
>
> The funny thing: what was elaborated about the "delete -> Move to Trash"
> renaming and the additonal config option to remove the files immediately
> while moving to trash is exactly what Windows >= 95 does. And this
> without using it's name during the discussion.

Ha, you are right. I didn't even think of that at the time. It just seamed
natural from desktop metaphore perspective. In the real world you put things
in the trash and when it gets full you empty it. Or you hire a cleaning lady
to emty it for you at regular intervals.

Another thing that could be removed from the context menux is the "Rename"
item. This could  be done by direct manipulaton of the text instead. I.e.
select the file you want to rename, then make it possible to click the text
of the selected file to select the filename text,  then write the new name.
This is how the majority of the windows users do to rename files (even though
windows actually have a "Rename"  menu item).  In KDE we could use the
"Properties" dialog if we want some other way to rename files.

Regards
Uno Engborg