List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kcontrol reorganization (was: UI enhancements)
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2003-01-26 15:25:27

On Sunday 26 January 2003 15.26, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Sunday 26 January 2003 14:56, Uno Engborg wrote:
> > What I would like to see is instead a kconfig config tool, where a
> > sysadmin could create kconfigs at suitable complexity level to fit his
> > users.  The kconfig  config  tool should  also allow  the sysadmin to
> > prevent users from configuring certain things.
> >
> > The default root kconfig could then look something like what it looks
> > today and have a menu for starting the kconfig tool so that he could add
> > or remove features to be configurable  for certain user groups. And the
> > default non root kconfig could be somewhat simpler than it is today.
>
> See this thread:
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=103696193130408&w=2

I'm not sure what you are getting at. But If you refer to the fact that this
would be more complex to develop I certainly agree with you. But isn't it
better to leave the complexity to the developersand admins than to the users.

> > We could also provide template kconfigs that the sysadmin could use as
> > starting point for user configurations. Here we could have templates for
> > newbies, andvanced, and very advanced uers.
>
> *cough*

You are coughing because you sense the distinct smell of user levels, right?
If so smell again. These templates are supposed to be used by the sysadmin.
and it really doesn't matter if he selects the wrong template as starting
point he will just have to add or remove some more stuff to get it right for
his users. So in this case we don't have the problem of users not knowing
what group they belong to as the sysadmin is supposed to know the system as
well as his users. For all I care we could  remove the default templates and
let each sysadmin create all the templates he needs all by himself.

Regards
Uno Engborg