List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Shortcut keys for Start Menu
From:       Eric Christopherson <rakko () charter ! net>
Date:       2003-01-24 2:39:51

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:19:55PM +0000, Michael Pye wrote:
> On Thursday 23 Jan 2003 11:14 am, David Goodenough wrote:
> > In 3.1 a feature has been added to have shortcut keys to access menu
> > entries, including the "Start" KMenu.  Focusing in particular on this menu
> > I have two suggestions which I think would increase usability:-
> >
> > 1) If there are multiple entries starting with the same letter, if you
> > press the letter (K is the worst offender) you get to the first entry
> > starting with K.  Pressing it again gets you back to the this first entry.
> > How about if you press a letter it moves to the first entry starting with
> > this letter AFTER the entry you are on, thus pressing K twice would get you
> > to the second K entry.
>
> Um, certainly on the kmenu, the idea is to press the first *couple of
> letters*, just enough to uniquely specify the app you want. It's much better
> than pressing the first letter multiple times because you don't need to know
> the layout of the menu...

Hey, I never knew kmenu worked that way. I notice it even underlines
whichever letters you hit. Pretty spiffy :)

BTW: Neither of these two ways seems to work in Konqueror (file manager at
least). Also in Konq's fm, whenever I hit Meta (which is my Windows key), it
scrolls to the beginning of the view. I don't know why that happens, but
it's really annoying since I use Meta a lot. (Off topic, sorry.)

One thing I would like to see (and on topic!): A way to assign keyboard
accelerators to arbitrary items on the panel. E.g., I have on my kicker
several directory "quick browsers," one of which I use to keep all my most
frequently used programs (works very nicely too). However, I can't reach
those with a key combo.

--
Furrfu!		r a k k o  at  c h a r t e r  dot  n e t