List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Do we really need a Show Desktop Icon?
From:       optimus <optimus () philwebinc ! com>
Date:       2002-12-11 4:00:55

On Friday 06 December 2002 06:59 am, Christoph Eckert wrote:

> Yes. But I do mislike the Icon, too. What about an entry in
> the context menu of the panel: minimize all windows?
>
> Some more pixels not any more wasting the screen but the
> funktionality still reachable with two klicks.

Showing the "Show Desktop icon" by default is more usable because you only
have to do a single-click.

Screen navigation elements (like maximize, minimize, quit, show desktop,
virtual desktop) need quick, unobstructed access. Displaying their icons is
most important, because this makes them most accesible and helpful.

Screen navigation elements are crucial elements in a GUI. Displaying them is
imperative.

Keyboard accelerators and context menus are also helpful, but they are a power
user feature, are not visually intuitive, and requires some searching,
reading, configuration, and testing (horror tasks for newbies).

Regards,

Michael