List:       kde-usability
Subject:    konq sidebar (was Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system)
From:       David Hammerton <david () transgaming ! com>
Date:       2002-12-06 0:10:34

Regarding the "Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system", of which
got way to big for me to read, I would just like to add something to one of
the topics discussed that seemed to disappear early on.

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-usability&m=103834752625044&w=2

The issue was about the konq file manager, in terms of sidebars and such, I'd
just like the mention that I find the tabs on the sidebar very cumbersome, I
never know what any of those tabs actually do, and when I'm trying to get to
the root level browsing tab, I just click through all of them until I hit the
one I want.. Rather annoying. (And I'm a 'power user', what would the less
computer-savy users think?).

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, heres a screeny:
http://members.optushome.com.au/ajhammerton/kde_sidebar.jpg

Now, I think it'd be good if we could do away with the tabs, and the sidebar
could auto-detect what we were doing, maybe a combination of windows, mac
(http://www.doxxx.net/finder-computer.png - look at the top, thats useful)
and the xandros one (which I do like, apart from the many man trees)
http://www.xandros.com/images/XFM1.jpg

I might play with a test mock of my ideas if anyone is interested.

Anyhow, thats my 0.02c

David

--
David Hammerton