List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       Ralph Gottesbuehren <gottesbuehren () web ! de>
Date:       2002-12-05 18:02:21

Am Donnerstag, 5. Dezember 2002 01:04 schrieb Uno Engborg:

> Perhaps we could introduce some sort of toggle mode for control keys to
> handle the one hand use problem. Anybody who knows how MacOS and Windows
> handles this?  This problem could  pop up in many other places and perhaps
> we should have a general solution that not only applied to konqueror.

 Windows chooses itself, how to handle the left-button-drag (depends on where
to drag to or what type of item , i.e. if you drag an *.exe-icon, windows
sets a link per default; if you drag an item to an other partition, then
windows moves it, if you drag it to an other directory, then windows copies
your item -> thats very annoying, because you never really know, what will
happen, if you release the button)

or maybe i'm too dumb to understand the logic behind that behaviour ;-)

as a solution they created the "right-button-drag",  you drag your icon using
the right button, and then appears the same good old pop-up-menu we use in
kde now.

> The average user does MUCH more moving than copying
> How many files have you copied this weak?

ok, you're right for files.
but think of dragging an mp3-file from konqui to a playlist, or a
textfile-icon to kword, -> you don't move, you copy per default (in an
abstract way) because the item (content, icon whatever) is now on 2 locations
and the source will be where it was.
my point is, making MOVE the default makes not in all situations a sense...
if you think of files, you're right...

> Then we have linking. Just count the number of links you own , compare that
> too the number of files you own.

you're right again. its only much more comfortable to me, instead of "ln -s".
and it's VERY plastic (dont know the right english word) to "drag a link",
like throwing a rope from one place to another. don't know how to make a link
in kde not that way...

> That's why I wan't to remove the menu alltogether.  But I agree that we
> need some visual cues near the mous when the command a command
> key is pressed.

i would suggest, if you show some visuals (i.e. a small "+" for copy, an arrow
for move ...), then to do it not only when a key is pressed, but every time.
so the user knows while dragging, what the system will do when he releases
the mouse button, even if he pressed no special key.

conclusion: don't know, have to think, mmh...

regards, ralph