List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: A case for sharing Desktop and home directories
From:       Manuel Amador <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2002-12-03 23:04:58

El mar, 03-12-2002 a las 17:42, Uno Engborg escribió:
> On Tuesday 03 December 2002 23:30, Manuel Amador wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm cross-posting to what should have been the right forum to discuss
> > this issue.
>

> Really, What forums would that be?
This is the right one.  kde-devel sure wasn't.  kde-devel was very
hostile to the idea.

> It seams that you have solved most of the problems, though
thanks =)

> But you still have the problem with automounted home directories that may
> have to live in different user environments. My guess is that most distros
> will create a /etc/skel/Desktop for that reason. And that sort of take the
> edge out of your idea.
Please explain more =)

> Filx it by redifining the cd command and the starting point of konsole
> instead, and you will get what you want.
Please explain more.  What is Filx?  Does it mean "fix"?  Do you mean
change working directory for Konsole and redefining the CD command?  Why
not fix the real issue instead of working around it?

My goal is to have, as it is well stated, KDE use the user's homedir as
dfault desktop directory.

> The only side effect is that folders like Mail will not be visible, but on the
> other hand these files should only be visible through the mail client and
> should never be viewed or edited directly. So the side effect is on the plus
> side.
Well, the idea is that in a distant future you will be able to enter
your Mail folder and double click on a message (envision Maildir format
mailboxes).