List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Modifier keys - some ramblings on feedback...
From:       Ralph Gottesbuehren <gottesbuehren () web ! de>
Date:       2002-12-03 22:01:29

Am Dienstag, 3. Dezember 2002 02:31 schrieb Uno Engborg:
> On Monday 02 December 2002 23:54, Michael Pye wrote:
> > OK, for a while now, and particularly during the discussions of the move
> > / copy / link pop up and the hidden context menu suggestions, I've been
> > pondering the big (and widely recognised) problem with modifier keys.
> > Simply put:
> >
> > People don't know about them.

Michael Pye is absolutely right! People don't know them. and if they know them
- people forget.

Other thought - i'm glad about the ability to move/copy/link my files only
with the use of my mouse. don't make it difficultier than it is.
don't force the user to use BOTH hands, for only to copy a file.

And don't make me fighting with my system i.e. if kde thinks, i want to move
an item, and i want to link it. (that unlogical behaviour that ms-windows
shows, therefore they introduced the right-click-file-action-menu)

> > * A small applet or other, which displays icons based on the currently
> > available modifiers, maybe even with a title to describe their action.
> > The user can glance at this when they wish to perform an action, as the
> > information is useful, but not vital.

Bad idea. the user's visual focus is on the mouse-pointer, not on the panel.
I underline a solution mentioned somewhere above: if NO modifier is pressed,
show the well-known pop-up, else directly do the explicit action.

And my last thought:

the "drag an item and then choose the action" - way (one klick -> move pointer
-> read short menu -> second klick)  is much shorter than the cut&paste-way
over the right-klick-file-menu. it was the first thing, i fell in love with
when i changed from windows to kde.

Greets,
Ralph