List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Random thoughts
From:       Alistair Davidson <lord_inh () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-11-29 5:46:39

On Friday 29 Nov 2002 2:52 am, Datschge@gmx.net wrote:
> > I occurs to me that this is actually quite a big issue, the
> > filesystem-navigation and program-running (which is usually new
> > document creation) methods being so different. No solution is leapign
> > into my head so I thought I'd put it out there and see what you folks can
> > come up with.
>
> Actually I think the answer for this problem isn't even that far away: we
> already have a submenu in RMB menus in filesystem-navigation which allows
> you to create new documents and other file types. If we can change its
> entries to more task oriented entries which not only create respective new
> files but optionally also start the respective program, and if we offer
> this feature in a more prominent place, eg. also in filesystem-navigation
> toolbars, then I think we reached a lot already.

The trouble is that this means creating a file and choosing a place for it in
your file system simply to create a new document. Often I'll open Kate to jot
down a note, or open up KWord just because I'm in the mood for writing, and
it could end up being a short story or a poem or an essay or just something
that goes nowhere and gets binned.