List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Embrace and extend.
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2002-11-25 17:48:16

On Monday 25 November 2002 17:37, Datschge@gmx.net wrote:
> You can already achieve similar designs using framed views within Konqueror
> which can be saved and restored as profiles. But afaik there's no way yet
> to link specific profiles with specific folders, is there?

I'm not sure what a framed view is. Is it what you do with the Window->Split
View Left/Right and similar options?

The new thing I'd like to see, is some way to accociate contents of a
particular mime/tpyp  with such a view profile. That is if I have a folder
full of JPEGs  konqueror should recognize this, and open it with the View
profile I have specified for JPEG folders.

To configure the view profile the way I wan't it I would need a sidebar
element that showed me the metadata of a selected image in the main
view.  Preferably metadata like Comment should be editable in the sidebar.
This would greatly simply fy adding comments to images e.g. dowloaded
from a digital camera.

The question is how we enter what file types that should use a specific
profile. I suggest that it could be done from a dialog opened from the
"Settings"

The dialog could contain a combobox whery you select viewprofile and
a list where you could add or remove mime types. There could also
be a textfield where you could enter a regular expression to specifify
a certain profile if the regexp was matched by any files in the folder.

Regards
Uno Engborg