List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: How can we improve *perceived* response time?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-11-24 13:33:52

On Sunday 24 November 2002 13:54, Datschge@gmx.net wrote:
> What we need to think about are ways to improve the *perceived* response
> time, just like the subject line is saying for some time already. Keep in
> mind that the *perceived* response time may not rely on the hardware but
> should instead allocate the existing speed (slowness) to parts which really
> matter.

Yes, that's what "on-demand loading" or "background loading" is good for. The
icon-loading speedup in KDE 3.1 has been achieved by using on-demand loading.
And e.g. generation of previews is done with background loading.

Still the relation with hardware is important to understand performance, you
have to understand hardware factors that contribute to slowness in order to
improve the things that actually matter: If loading an icon takes 8ms disk
seek time and 1ms png-decoding, then improving the png-decoding to take only
0.5ms hardly makes a noticable difference for overall performance.

Cheers,
Waldo