List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Extended, Everyday?  A Generally Bad Idea
From:       Arcana <emerald-arcana () rogers ! com>
Date:       2002-10-31 21:18:09

On Thursday 31 October 2002 09:33 am, Nathaniel W. Turner wrote:

> > My point was that there should be an "extended" and an "everyday"
> > mode. Extended would be default and include all settings, so newbies
> > can get used to them, and Everyday optionally removed all fine tuning
> > settings which are only distracting when you want to finish your task
>
> It would be nice if there was a global way to toggle things like this,
> kicker applet handles, etc.  95% of the time they are just visual noise.
> Unfortunately, the other 5% of the time they damn well better be easy to
> find.  Alas, I don't have a clever idea for how to implement this.  =(

I don't like this because it borders on the concept of "Everyday" mode versus
"Extended" mode, which is equal to the "Newbie Mode" versus "Expert Mode"
(user levels), which, if it hasn't been hammered in by now, is a generally
bad idea.

We could do the MS-Windows "Most Frequently-Used-Shows-Up-Only" method, but
this has also been touted globally as a generally bad idea as well.

A better way would be to have the "Config" options deeper in the KMenu.  So
instead of displaying KControl in the Panel, it would appear ONLY in the
menu.  And we should always leave "Configure ___" in the context menu.

--
-- Arcana

Dreams may be in sleep, or may occur waking.  In all cases, listen to your
dreams.