List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: No, not just yet! ;)
From:       Irwin <emerald-arcana () rogers ! com>
Date:       2002-10-23 2:35:52

On Tuesday 22 October 2002 08:07 pm, Eric Ellsworth wrote:
> Ok, attached is my writeup of KDE.org.  I'd appreciate it if someone could
> post it publicly so we can refer it as (if) we discuss it.

Comments:

-I see, generally, no problems with the description of the user classes and
their primary purposes.  I think this is an excellent starting point for us
to define the purpose of the components on the web page - and Jason has
already made quite a few clarifications that I hope to be able to emphasize
(maybe I'll add the comments to the page).  If we wanted to nitpick, we could
probably clarify some of the points about what users do what.  The
documentation is easily expanded to contain use cases, actually - it would
simply be a list of what kind of actions a user may want to do with the web
site.

From Jason:
> As for the main kde.org site there is a few ideas floating around as to how
> to make use of it the best and use it to kickstart navigation around the
> rest of the KDE sites. There isn't currently any proposals for this that I
> am aware of apart then the original two column design.

I think the navigation and reporting the user's location is very important and
deserves a lot of thought.  I actually like the listing of the tree in the
top-left corner, with the separating slashes.  However, the rest of the
navigation should probably concentrate on the broad "areas" of KDE that
people are interested in.  We MOSTLY have these areas highlighted in the left
side of our example web pages "Learn" "Develop" "Download" etc.

Random idea: Perhaps we can put links to the rest of the KDE sister sites only
in the menus of content pages that are relevant.  For example, the main site
wouldn't have anything.  But the "Applications of KDE" sub site will have
links to kate, konqueror, kmail, etc. web pages.  The "KDE for your Whole
Family" sub site will have links to usability and so forth.  That's a random
idea, as stated above. :)

Our overall problem spawning endless discussion is probably that we were being
a little too fuzzy, and not really identifying WHAT we wanted to do, as
opposed to how it looked.  Perhaps we should take a moment, write down who
the web site serves and what it will provide to those it serves.  We've
gotten most of the users listed, so the "what we provide" is going to be an
extension of that.

--
-- Irwin

Dreams may be in sleep, or may occur waking.  In all cases, listen to your
dreams.