List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Window placement and size in KDE
From:       Shane Wright <me () shanewright ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-10-21 9:25:45

Hi

Centered placement will be in 3.1 (unless someone's removed it), and if you
want it for 3.0.x you can use the patch I wrote here...

http://www.shanewright.co.uk/files/kde-windowplacements-0.1.tar.gz

You'll need to recompile kdebase, and I'm afraid it won't help with the sizing
of windows, but it's handy anyway ;)

Cheers

Shane

On Saturday 19 October 2002 6:43 pm, Harijs Buss wrote:
> Hello!
>
> First, excuse me please if this is FAQ type question. I tried to search
> docs, Google search, search at usability.kde.org but was not lucky to find
> answer.
>
> Is there in KDE 3.0.x any way to place specific application in position and
> size specified by me as user?  How do I configure this?
>
> I really hate so called dynamic placements (all three of them available).
> Dont want applications to jump up in wierd and unusable  for me places.
> What I want is e.g. KMail always opening in one and the same position,
> same size. Right now (in Mandrake 9.0) it still opens sometimes in very
> different places, sometimes as small as half-postcard on my 1600*1200
> screen, sometimes same size as it was last time. Sure I tried all available
> options in Window Behaviour, unfortunately there are only so called dynamic
> strategies.  Title Menu option Store Settings doesnt help either (sometimes
> it does but than suddenly forgets all it knew about size and position).
> Cascade windows also are usualy not exctly cascading.  X-Windows position
> swich doesnt seem to work with KDE applications. Obviously I am missing
> something.
>
> In short: what should I do to nail any given app where I want it be ALWAYS
> when it is open? Not all applications in the same place, but each app in
> its own place.  Any hotkey combination? Any position and size parameters I
> could write into somewhere?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Harijs Buss

- --