List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: KControl
From:       Poletti Don <Don.Poletti () comverse ! com>
Date:       2002-09-20 16:59:18

>> At best I would suggest splitting off the ftp boxes and
>> moving them to components and named FTP. I'm assuming that
>> some embedded ftp functions use these.
>
>the ftp ioslave.. which is used whenever you access ftp via a
>KDE app (e.g.
>konqueror)
>
>> Who or what uses the socket timings? I think these should
>> be removed.
>
>when did "i don't know the purpose of this" become a good
>argument for "it
>should be removed"? maybe it has a good purpose, and you just
>don't know
>about it. i'd suggest FIRST discovering what it does and then
>asking one's
>self if it needs to be clearer in the panel, whether it needs to be
>redesigned, or if it can indeed be removed.

When its someone who knows a lot about network programming and
they still have no idea what its for. Actaully I misspoke to
some extent. I know what there for but I don't know what part
of KDE they effect. Saying it effects any app using IOSlaves
doesn't help either.

An option is not to have a global setting but have it set by
each app that needs it. So konq would have to have a dialog
to set it and any other ftp client and users of sockets would
need a dialog. While for the people who need and understand how
to adjust these numbers (I'm guessing well under 1%) it would mean
configuring in multiple areas if they use muliple clients for the
same thing, 2 different ftp clients, again a low percentage. This
would move these items from a general area where they are out of
context much closer to where they are needed.

>> Generally these are kernel parameters and I
>
>kernel parameters?

Sorry in SCO unixware the tcp timeouts are controled though kernel
parameters.