List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Minicli Polishing
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-09-15 3:29:51

On Saturday 14 September 2002 03:16, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> Anyway, does anyone have a strong objection regarding this, or can I clean
> the code up and commit?

some comments;

 o i have thought about the group box replacement thing and came to what now
seems to me to be the obvious realization: this is a style thing. meaning it
should be handled by the widget style. simply change keramik or the default
style to draw groupboxes without a frame and the text in bold. i hope this is
possible (haven't researched it copmletely yet) because that would mean that
all of kde (and Qt apps) could be made conformant instantly! doing this by
hand in one place as a non-consistent thing is probably a poor solution.

 o the space between the label and the widget (e.g. User&name: and the
lineedit) is not good. they should be close for association. the widgets can
still line up on their left edge, but there is no reason for them to be
shoved to the right edge of the dialog.

 o speaking of style issues, sliders with the ranges to the left and right of
the slider are not optimal IMO. the clash with the label (e.g. Priority) and
don't work if you have more than one. if you have three labelled positions,
they have to appear below. this should probably be stuck to even in the case
of 2 labelled positions. using a 0 spacing layout to group the labels and
slider make for a nice tight layout, i have discovered.

 o we need an "advanced" icon. using "Configure" for "Advanced" doesn't help
the meaning of the icon (multiple meanings per icon is bad, and should be
avoided if possible)

> Two questions regarding this code:
>
> 1. Should QLabels with disabled buddies be disabled themselves too? The

yes. we've been practicing and advocating this style on the list. the label
and the widget are a single logical unit and should behave together. this
will help users with association and improve clarity by keeping windows
cleaner when options are off. if this isn't in the style guide, it ought to
be.

> 2. To get a _reliable_ pixel-precise alignment of the checkbox labels and
> the 'normal' labels like Username and Password I had to introduce a
> QLabel-derivative QCheckBoxProxy. That way the checkboxes don't have a
> caption and form the leftmost column of a QGridLayout. It is possible to
> use a snippet like

unless we do this everywhere, i'd recommend against it.  i do like the look,
but i'm always concerned about consistency: once users see it a certain way
changing it (esp for the better) will inspire thoughts of "the rest sucks"
;-) i don't think it enhances usaiblity tremendously, and it will always
break w/Qt only apps (if that matters to you)

> Does anyone have a better idea, since both the checkbox proxy and the
> hardcoded metrics have some serious associated downsides?

using a spacer size that == the width of the checkbox as brought back by
QStyle's pixel parameter method? this would be a challenge w/designer derived
dialogs, but perhaps some additional post-uic-and-pre-compile magic (as is
already done for things like i18n) might work? i dunno.. hard to say...

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein