List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Minicli Polishing
From:       Martijn Klingens <martijn () martijn ! homeip ! net>
Date:       2002-09-14 21:16:30

See screenshot.

While looking for uncommitted code in my CVS tree I found this little baby
lying around. The diff is not attached because it's still chock-full of
commented-out CVS merge conflicts that I have to resolve first, but it
compiles and works for me already (tm). I guess that's what you get for not
committing in half a year...

Anyway, does anyone have a strong objection regarding this, or can I clean the
code up and commit? If preferred I can also send the diff here first once
it's cleaned up.

Two questions regarding this code:

1. Should QLabels with disabled buddies be disabled themselves too? The
screenshot shows this in action, but the style guide is unclear. A quick chat
with Waldo on IRC seemed to lean towards doing this, but a few more opinions
are welcome.

2. To get a _reliable_ pixel-precise alignment of the checkbox labels and the
'normal' labels like Username and Password I had to introduce a
QLabel-derivative QCheckBoxProxy. That way the checkboxes don't have a
caption and form the leftmost column of a QGridLayout. It is possible to use
a snippet like

addColSpacing( 0, kapp->style().pixelMetric( QStyle::PM_IndicatorWidth ) );

on the grid layout, but that is not 100% reliable and highly depends on using
non-standard spacing- and margin hints to be accurate. It is strictly
speaking possible that another widget style has another spacing inbetween the
actual checkbox (which is PM_IndicatorWidth wide) and the label than the
implied value from using

QGridLayout *top = new QGridLayout( this, 10, 3, 0, 9 );

spacing, although it seems the current styles are consistent with eachother. I
rather don't rely on such behaviour though.

Does anyone have a better idea, since both the checkbox proxy and the
hardcoded metrics have some serious associated downsides?

Martijn

["minicli.png" (image/png)]