List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: usability.kde.org updates & questions
From:       Jason Bainbridge <jaseone () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2002-09-14 15:55:04

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 03:26 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 14 September 2002 08:50, Jason Bainbridge wrote:

> wouldn't a cane and dark glasses be accessability, not usability? the two
> have overlap, but.... i don't have any suggestions at the moment though, so
> i'll just be quiet...

That's what I thought as well but what else would signify usability? I'm open
to ideas as always.

> > I have however written a little bit of php to keep track of the number of
> > hits for each page that just stores the number in
> > $SCRIPT_FILENAME-counter.txt files, is this a welcome addition or not? I
>
> can we get this info from the logs? i'm sure someone has access to those
> and can run something like awstats or webalizer on them?

I don't know about this one, but I wonder if there is any chance of writing
some sort of script to extract the relevant info from the logs say on a
weekly basis and write it to somewhere we can get at it?

> > Is there any update on the Usability Report stuff? Has it been migrated
> > across yet? I'd like to be able to make all changes to the site at once
> > if at all possible.
>
> i don't even have access to this, and until marten re-surfaces, i don't
> know who does =/ i'm starting to wonder if we should look into putting some
> custom forms up in front of bugzilla.kde.org.

I'm behind the idea of keeping everything in Bugzilla, but like you said we
would need custom forms as we can't be having a system to keep track of
usability changes that isn't usable itself. :-) I guess I could probably find
time to start looking at that kind of thing next weekend, if that's the path
we decide to go down.

> > Aaron, would you like me to include the Kmail discussion on what is
> > currently the FAQ page that that I am renaming to "Recent Discussions"?
>
> sure...

Will do...

> > Also should there be any criteria as to what gets included in that
> > section eg. all discussions on proposed changes?
>
> i'd suggest all discussions on proposed changes that also either:
>
>  o are going to be implemented
>  o or reach a meaningful conclusion for future implementation...
>
> that we'll avoid the noise...

Sounds good to me as I hardly want to record every thread on the site.

Cheers!
- --
Jason Bainbridge
KDE - Conquer Your Desktop