List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Rough Draft 1: New Project Website
From:       JP Schnapper-Casteras <jp_sc () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-09-09 4:40:41

Hi all,
   Here's a draft I worked up of the new KDE Usability Project web site
I was reccomending.  Comments and changes are welcome.  More rough
drafts of other materials to come soon.

Best,

--JP *still without his laptop :-)* Schnapper-Casteras

=====
-
Cell: 206-849-9032
LARS: http://trace.wisc.edu/linux
FDAWG: http://www.speechinfo.org/fdawg

http://finance.yahoo.com
["kde_usability_page.htm" (text/html)]

<head>
content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>KDE Usability Project</title>
</head>

        <ul>
            <li><strong>Note: FIX and ADD links and repair
                references to the webmaster and to non-existent
                Working Documents and Reccomendations.  Also,
                add people and e-mail addresses to the "Who are we?"
                section.</strong></li>
            <li><a href="#Why does it usability matter?">Why does
                usability matter?</a></li>
                    <li><a href="#Working Documents">Working
                        Documents</a></li>
                            <li><a
                                href="#Status of Working Documents">Status
                                of Working Documents</a></li>
                            <li><a
                                href="#Status of Reccomendations">Status
                                of Reccomendations</a></li>
                            <li><a
                                href="#Status of Communications">Status
                                of Communication</a></li>
                        </ul>
                    </li>
                    <li><a href="#Free Desktop Usability site">Free
                        Desktop Usability site</a></li>
                </ul>
            </li>
            <li><a href="#Contact Active Member">Contact Active
                Member</a></li>
        </ul>
        <h2><a name="What do we do?">What do we do?</a></h2>
        usable. In our minds, a &quot;usable&quot; desktop is one
        that is easy for use for users of all types and
        experience levels, clear and straighforward to learn, and
        as efficient to use as possible. We believe that
        improving and working on KDE's usability is crucially
        important to it as world-class desktop environment.</p>
        <h2><a name="How do we do it?">How do we do it?</a></h2>
        <ol>
            <li>Analyizing KDE's User Interfaces, writing Working
                Documents, and developing them into
                Reccomendation documents</li>
            <li>Working with application and core developers to
                clarify and implement these Reccomendations</li>
            <li>Providing the &quot;KDE User Interface
                Guidelines&quot;</li>
            <li>Contributing to the Free Desktop Usability web
                site and Common Human Interface Guide</li>
        </ol>
        <h2><a name="Why does it usability matter?">Why does
        usability matter?</a></h2>
        is:</p>
        <ul>
            <li>It allows users of all types and experience
                levels to work more quickly</li>
            <li>It reduces human error</li>
            <li>It attracts and keeps new users (increases KDE's
                user base)</li>
            <li>It allows users to learn and adopt new apps more
                quickly</li>
            <li>It makes KDE more attractive to organizations
                (companies, universities, governments)</li>
        </ul>
        <h2><a name="Who are we?">Who are we?</a></h2>
        <ul>
            <li>Aaron Siego</li>
            <li><a href="mailto:jpsc@stanford.edu">JP
                Schnapper-Casteras</a></li>
        </ul>
        webmaster.</p>
        <h2><a name="Current Work">Current work:</a></h2>
        <h3><a name="Working Documents">Working Documents:</a></h3>
        reports for, problems with, and in some cases, usability
        tests on a specific KDE application or part of KDE. They
        are the staging ground for developing a concise
        Reccomendation. For information on starting a new working
        document, or contributing to one, see:</p>
        <ul>
            <li>How to Write and Maintain a &quot;Working
                Document&quot;</li>
        </ul>
        the &quot;Status&quot; section of this page.</p>
        Reccomendations or otherwise eliminated are:</p>
        <ul>
            <li>KOldApp</li>
        </ul>
        <h3><a name="Reccomendations">Reccomendations:</a></h3>
        agreed upon list of suggestions that gets send an
        application's or to the core developers. For information
        on how to write or maintain a Reccomendation, see:</p>
        <ul>
            <li>How to Write and Maintain a
                &quot;Reccomendation&quot; document</li>
        </ul>
        &quot;Status&quot; section of this page.</p>
        or otherwise closed are:</p>
        <ul>
            <li>KReallyOldApp</li>
        </ul>
        <h3><a name="Status">Status:</a></h3>
        <h4><a name="Status of Working Documents">Status of
        Working Documents:</a></h4>
        <ul>
            <li>KControl: Still collecting input, debate on
                &quot;Appearances&quot; section</li>
            <li>KSnapshot: Editing for &quot;Reccomendation</li>
        </ul>
        <h4><a name="Status of Reccomendations">Status of
        Reccomendations:</a></h4>
        <ul>
            <li>KOldApp: Final draft</li>
            <li>KReallyOldApp: Working with developers on
                implementation</li>
        </ul>
        <h4><a name="Status of Communications">Status of
        Communications</a></h4>
        <ul>
            <li>With the GNOME Usability Project: discussing
                section on commonalities</li>
            <li>With developers:<ul>
                    <li>KReallyOldApp: Discussing reccomendated
                        changes to the option dialog</li>
                </ul>
            </li>
        </ul>
        <h3><a name="TODO">TODO:</a></h3>
        <ul>
            <li>Start Working Documents on:<ul>
                    <li>KApp1</li>
                    <li>KApp2</li>
                    <li>KApp3</li>
                </ul>
            </li>
            <li>Revise Guidelines</li>
            <li>Update web site</li>
            <li>Educate developers</li>
        </ul>
        <h3><a name="Guidelines">Guidelines</a></h3>
        currently in the works and is <a href="http://fix.me">available
        online</a>.</p>
        <ul>
            <li>KDE User Interface Guidelines</li>
            <li>KDE User Interface Principles</li>
        </ul>
        <h3><a name="Free Desktop Usability site">Free Desktop
        Usability site</a></h3>
        site</a> is the home of the Common Human Interface
        Guidelines and Usability Principles. It contains lessons
        about usability, an online course, and links to relevant
        projects and guideline. The web site also helps promote
        and further the cause of usability in the general Free
        Software world.</p>
        <h2><a name="Get Involved">Get Involved</a></h2>
        and TODO sections for some ideas. Also, join and e-mail
        the mailing list or contact an and active member of the
        project.</p>
        <h2><a name="Mailing List">Mailing List</a></h2>
        are also online.</p>
        Usability site</a> for links to other related mailing
        lists.</p>
        <h2><a name="Contact Active Member">Contact Active Member</a></h2>
        <ul>
            <li>Aaron Siego</li>
        </ul>
        webmaster.</p>