List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kcontrol proposal - screenshot
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-09-08 19:35:41

On Thursday 05 September 2002 21:37, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 05 September 2002 01:11, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > What do you mean with "nested groups"? A 3 level hierarchy? Why is that
> > so bad?
>
> because users grapple with trees as it is, making them deep trees makes the
> problem quite a bit worse. at least according to the stuff i've been
> reading about trees.

http://www.sapdesignguild.org/community/design/hierarchies.asp

Go down to "People and Hierarchies" for more info on this topic. Replacing
depth with breadth is a recommended strategy for making trees easier for
people. If depth is becoming a problem we might have to consider adding more
items on the top level.

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/