List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kcontrol proposal - screenshot
From:       Eric Ellsworth <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-09-06 20:12:35

On Friday 06 September 2002 11:27 am, wvl wrote:
> On Friday 06 September 2002 19:59, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > But once Aaron sees the light and moves Web Browser back into "Internet &
> > Network" it isn't that bad, is it?
>
> Indeed. But this won't happen.

I sorta think having Web Browser as a separate category is a good idea, given
how many things do/will embed an html widget.

A nagging difficulty I've had in the A&T section is Launch Feedback.
I think it desperately needs renaming, or even better, integration into
another kcm:
Here are two problems:
	1) If you take Launch as a verb (and it's frequently used as such in computer
	 talk), you're launching some action of feedback to someone.

	2) Even if you figure out that Launch has been turned into a noun here, you
	 still have to grasp the idea of this being something that happens on the
	Launch event (intentional programmer-speak).

I think 1) is a very reasonable interpretation of "Launch Feedback", even for
a reasonably experienced user, and hence we're creating a confusing
situation.
It could be renamed to Program Start(up) Notification
A little long, but I can't think of any better (esp. shorter) ones.

I do think the word Notification should be in here, as this kcm controls how
to notify the user about programs starting.

Launch feedback is also a pretty small kcm, which suggests it could be
integrated somewhere else:
	One option, which I don't love, is splitting the kcm, putting the taskbar
notification into Panel, and the cursor notification into Icons (?)
Perhaps it could go into Desktop->Behavior?

Any more ideas?

EE