List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kcontrol proposal - screenshot
From:       wvl <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2002-09-06 19:08:30

On Friday 06 September 2002 13:45, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 06 September 2002 12:30, wvl wrote:
> > That's not the point. The point is that \Web Browser can not coexist with
> > \Internet & Network.
>
> this is a statement that people keep making w/out any reason. why can't
> they coexist? what makes them mutually exclusive? because you use your web
> browser on the network? well, i can set my desktop background to be a
> network web page! i can use kicker to access network information
> (dictionary, weather, news)! more to the point, i can (and do) access
> information locally with my web browser.
>
> so. tell me how "web browser" and "network" can't reside side by side!

No. It's 'Web Browser' and 'Internet'. Do people picture the internet as a
large, intertwinned, worldwide network? The reason they should not reside
side by side is because for users Internet == the web browser (aka 'Internet
Explorer', for the majority of computer users), or rather the pages the web
browser displays.

> > Also, will people all of a sudden become confused because of the depth of
> > a single branch is 3 levels deep? It is not preferable, but it certainly
> > will not confuse people and cause them to get lost.
>
> for the Nth time: this is not only, or even primarily, about navigation to
> the destination!
>
> it is about allowing people to KNOW where they are once they have arrived
> and therefore be able to LEARN how to get back there on subsequent visits.
> this requires building a mental model of the hierarchy. that requires a
> hierarchy that most people can build a mental model of.

My point stands, in slightly altered form: so a single (one out of many)
branch 3 levels deep will cause the user to (get lost /) all of a sudden not
be able to properly create a mental model?

- wvl