List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kcontrol proposal - Use "External Devices", not "Peripherals"
From:       Irwin K <emerald-arcana () rogers ! com>
Date:       2002-09-03 3:03:37

On Monday 02 September 2002 07:09 pm, Eric Ellsworth wrote:

> Yes they're peripherals, but it's pretty hard to imagine a computer w/o a
> keyboard and a pointing device.  My hangup is that I think the word
> peripherals is both somewhat technical and a little dated (I expect any but
> the most computer-savvy of my friends would ask what the hell a peripheral
> is), and wish I could come up with a better name, but can't.

"External Devices"

Devices is sort of a vague term, unfortunately.  However, adding the word
"External" essentially allows the user to visualize "anything outside of the
computer".  Users will see things such as the keyboard, mouse, and printer as
outside of the computer/monitor setup (*note that many users consider the
monitor as a part of the computer itself, and nowadays it's actually true in
the case of the iMac).  Things that you have to plug in such as your scanner,
printer, PDA, digital camera, and fridge and stove can be tossed under here.

> So how about as a compromise if we leave Peripherals but try to rename it,
> and put the whizbangs in a new category? Here Peripherals are things that
> only work when connected to your computer, whereas whizbangs have a life
> outside the nest.

I don't see the point in separating whizbangs from peripherals.  I don't think
adding a new top-level category helps people much.  There are only 3 items
under the current Peripherals.  If we can name the top-level group something
that makes sense peripherals is a bad word IMO) then people will want to look
there first for their scanner or their PDA or their fridge or their printer.
Do you think your PDA would be viewed as an "external device"?

> I'd be inclined to call the whizbang category something like:
> Digital Appliances (this might be nice if your coffeepot got hooked up to
> your computer - you could control it in this section) or Portable Devices
> or (god forbid) Portable Digital Devices and use it to describe those
> digital whizbangs that you need to sync with your computer from time to
> time: PDA
>     Cellphone
>     MP3 player
>     Camera
>     thinks Jetsons....
>     Fridge
>     Oven
>     Coffeepot

Again, I'd just shelve these things under "External Devices".  They're all
"outside of the computer", after all.  When internet-enabled coffee makers
and stoves become commonplace, then we can decide whether they warrant their
own category at that point.

Also, I'd rename "Printing Manager" to simply "Printing" or "Printers".

--
-- Arcana  (Irwin)