List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kcontrol proposal - screenshot
From:       "Eric Ellsworth" <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-09-02 16:58:03

The new list looks great!

On Monday 02 September 2002 00:18, Waldo Bastian wrote:

[snip]
> Let's give it a try:
>
> Accessibility
>   Accessibility
> Appearance and Themes
>   Background
>   Colors
>   Fonts
>   Icons
>   Launch Feedback
Launch Feedback seems like a fine-tuning setting, which I'd associate w/
more advanced users.  Could this join System Notifications?  Failing that, I
think it could use a different name (not that I have any to offer write now
:| )

>   Screen Saver
>   Style
>   Theme Manager
>>   Window Decorations
>> Internet and Network
>>   Crypto
>>   Desktop Sharing
>>   E-mail
>>   LAN Browsing

>>   News Ticker (?)
>>   Tak Configuration (?)
>I suppose News Ticker could be placed in 'KDE Components'.

>>   Windows Shares
>> KDE Components
>>   Address Book
>>  Konsole (?)
>Yup.
Brilliant

>   Session Manager
If it's going to be called a session "manager", I think it should handle
saved sessions and what is in them.  Is this what the Session Manager kcm
will address?

>   Spell Checker
>   Component Chooser

>>   File Associations

>>   Desktop
>>     Appearance
>>     Behavior
>>     Virtual Desktops
> I'd like to see this under Appearance and Themes. After all these mainly
> change the appearance of your desktop.

>>   Panel
> Another one for Appearance and Themes.
Agreed.
>   File Manager
>     Appearance
>     Behavior
>     Previews

>>   Web Browser
>>     Behavior
>>     Cache
>>     Cookies
>>     Enhanced Browsing
>>     Fonts
I understand the need to control fonts in the Web browser, but I still worry
about how less experienced people understanding the distinction between
fonts here and system-wide fonts.

>>     History sidebar
How about just Sidebar?

>>     java & javascipt
>>     Plugins
How about these become 1: Scripting & Plugins?

>>     Stylesheets
>>     User Agent
Could these be put into Enhanced Browsing?

> Internet and Network
In general, agreed.  My only concern here is that this would make the
Internet and Network tree an extra level deep, increasing complexity.

>   Window Manager
>     Actions
>     Focus
>     Moving

Sorry to be contentious, but do we really want a whole KControl section on
the Window Manager?  How much do most users care?

>> Peripherals
Printers

How about these appear in Control Center as they are added:
>   Digital Camera
MP3 player
Palm Pilot
Memory Stick

>   Keyboard
>   Mouse
Keyboard and Mouse are not really peripherals, they're part of the system.
As of now, we have no really hardware manager in KDE (by design, I know).
So what if Keyboard's settings went into regional settings, and Mouse went
into appearance as Mouse Behavior?

>> Regional and Language
>>   Country & Language
How about putting all the keyboard settings here or in Appearance....

>> Sound and Multimedia
Great name!

>>   Audio CDs

>>   Midi
>>   Mixer
>>   Sound Server
I think Midi, Mixer and Sound Server should join forces, and take the name
Sound Service  (implying that it's a system service, rather than a "server",
which many people only know as some mysterious place that web pages come
from)

>>   System Bell
>>   System Notifications
System Bell joins System Notifications....

>> System Administration
>>   CGI KIO Slave
>>   Paths
I LIKE this idea.  What's in it?
>   Power Control
>   Boot manager
>   Date & Time
>   Display Configuration

>>   File Share
>Not Internet and Network?
Agreed.  This is KPF, right?  I think Internet & Network -> Windows Shares
should become File Share, with one section for Windows shares, and another
for KPF.

>   Font Installer
Shouldn't this be a dialog of Appearance->Fonts?

>>   KDE Service Manager
>>   KhelpCenter Control Module
>>   Linux Kernel Configurarion
>>   Login Manager

>>   Printing Manager
> Printing Manager isn't user specific? I's place it under Peripherals.
Yes!

>> Suggestions:
>> In system, Alarm Client & XML RPC Daemon should both be folded in "KDE
>> Service Manager".
> Sounds more like KDE Components.

> In system, Display Configuration should behave like the other modules and
> not directly ask for a password.

>> In sounds, system notifications, the opton to turn on / off all sounds
>> should be in the default dialog, not only in the advanced dialog.
Agreed...

>> Open issues:
>> * What does "passwords" do? Which application uses the "remember
passwords"
>> setting?

Yes. I'd love to see a nice password manager built in here.  It could build
in support for the different protocols password needs (my specific interest
in FISH), deal with hold passwords for sessions and longer, and make it
possible to run remote commands over SSH w/o the user having to enter a
password each time.

> * Background could also be part of KDE Components->Desktop, should the
same
> module be present at _BOTH_ locations?
!! Put it where it belongs: Appearance and Themes -> Desktop

>> * Where should "keyboard shortcuts" go? I don't think it has anything to
do
>> with "Peripherals".
> Thought about this. Accessibility seemed like an option but it is rather
>unconventional.
Appearance -> Keyboard: Controls keyboard behavior

>> * I have moved "Power Control" to System Administration, why do you think
>> it should be a toplevel category?

> Need more input..

I'm with wvl on this one.  Power Control (Management?  - Control sounds like
it implies power userness) is about how your system is configured. It should
go in System Administration.

Great progress, y'all.

Cheers,

EE