List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Print manager usability improvement (commitable?)
From:       Matt Bonyak <dingodonkey () stny ! rr ! com>
Date:       2002-08-30 11:08:15

On Friday 30 August 2002 07:46 am, Philippe FREMY wrote:
> The problem is that the user does not expect a menu bar in the middle of
> the screen, and may not understand that this is a menubar. After all, you
> onle see a bunch of names written with no graphical elements indicating
> that you can click on them.-

No graphical elements?  Every clickable widget I see has a corresponding
graphic!

I doubt any users will be terribly confused by this.  It is made especially
obvious that they are clickable by the standard "this is a menu" arrow
displayed in the corner of each.  And they're not in the same format as the
_main_ menu, but rather, more like the bookmark menu in Konqueror, which can
exist at the same time as the main menu without any complaints.

Take a look at the old layout, side by side with this new proposal.  The new
one I can figure out without any problems, but the old one really does take a
few minutes to decipher.

By all means, put this in 3.1, because if you look at the current system, it's
a bloody mess.