List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KPersonalizer usability discussion
From:       Carsten Wolff <AirWulf666 () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-08-29 14:18:54

Hi,

On Wednesday 28 August 2002 00:03, Electronic Eric wrote:
> 	I'm one of the folks from the usability list.  The subject of
> KPersonalizer came up

Thanks for the hint, I'm subscribed to the list now. Is Torsten (tackat) on
the list already? kpersonalizer is his concept, afterall.

> On Tuesday 27 August 2002 13:58, Chris Howells wrote:
> > On Sunday 25 August 2002 12:23 am, wvl wrote:
> > > Are there any plans on making kpersonalizer purely optional
> >
> > KPersonalizer is optional.
>
> It does need some work on wording of the buttons.  Last I check it was
> "Quit and Keep", "Quit and Revert", and "Cancel".
> I'm never really sure which leaves my settings alone.

OK, I see that the user may ask himself: "Keep what? My old settings? Or
the settings, this stupid Wizard set?". It would be nice, if someone
suggested something, my english might not be well enough, to find a clear
wording.

> > > and off by
> > > default?
> >
> > That would defeat the whole purpose of writing it.....
>
> True.  However, almost every time I upgrade KDE, I have the problem that
> it keeps poppingup on subsequent logins

Sure, if this still happens (besides within the broken mandrake packages),
maybe we can debug it together? It never happens on my setup and I'm using
$KDEHOME=~/.kde-head. Do you use some modified startkde-script? Is
anything else, that may be related, configured in an unusual way?
So to say it, this is a bug and the required action for this is to fix it
and not to remove the feature.

> Also, the
> distros do a lot of this personalizing stuff type stuff.  Might be nice
> to talk to them about what they'd want to put in it.

Hm, personally, I'm not very interested in what the distros decide to do
with kpersonalizer. I think some had their own setup-tools since before
kpersonalizer was introduced and stick with those, others (like SuSE) ship
a patched version and some (like debian) ship the whole of KDE in the
"original" form.
It's their decision, wich way they whant to use it or not and they are free
to file wishes on bugs.kde.org, if they whant to have some feature in,
afterall.

That's it for the moment. I'll browse lists.kde.org now to read the whole
thread.

Greetings, Carsten.

--
| THE K Desktop Environment: |  My very own little site:  |
|     http://www.kde.org     | http://www.wolffcarsten.de |