List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Grey out scrollbar button when border reached?
From:       Matt Bonyak <dingodonkey () stny ! rr ! com>
Date:       2002-08-28 21:20:29

On Wednesday 28 August 2002 10:11 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> i've heard this particular "complaint" a few times now ... it is evidently
> having a detriment on at least some of the uesr's experiences.

This is the first I'd ever heard of it, I assumed that there weren't many
concerned with it.

> whenever possible one should be able to visually acertain the state of a
> given part of the UI.

I understand your point, but consider also that _most_ of the time, the user
can see that he's at the end simply by viewing the scrollbar.  It's only
under certain circumstances where that isn't true, but I do see where you're
coming from with this.

> i think you are blowing the amount of "visual noise" this will cause WAY
> out of proportion. especially since i've used systems that behaved this way
> (disabled the scroll button when it could move any further) and they worked
> quite well without a perceptable increase in visual noise.

Maybe I am, maybe I'm not.  I'd certainly like to see it in action, and while
I personally disagree with its existence, if a majority of people like it,
then by all means, I would then support it.

I guess I did take it a bit too far, looking back.  As long as the change is
subtle, I guess there wouldn't be any harm in it.