List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror: View Profiles concept & setting start page
From:       Electronic Eric <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-08-27 19:21:24

> On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 15:31, Richard Moore wrote:
> > How about an alternative solution? Making the home action sensitive
> > to the current view profile, and offering a 'set homepage' option
> > that only set's the value for the current homepage.

Before I fire of misplaced objections, let me see if I understand:
You're suggesting that each view profile have its own homepage, and the home
button send you to that page.

That sounds like the kind of feature that power users might like, but would
confuse the hoolyhoo out of new (really most) users, who are likely not to
care what view profile they're using, and therefore be very annoyed when home
means one thing at one point and another for some mysterious reason to do
with "view profiles".  Given all that:

a) I think the Home button should be as consistent as possible.
b) Also, since a home page traditionally has meant "the page you see when you
first open your browser", I think it should be a web page, rather than your
home directory (in spite of the similarity in words between home directory
and homepage).  To accomplish this, we could include a link the blank start
page in Konqueror up to a page that helps you set your homepage.

Cheers,

Eric