List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Clock prefs .ui
From:       Eric Ellsworth <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-08-26 21:50:31

On Monday 26 August 2002 12:26 pm, Christian Lavoie wrote:
> Some food for thought: Aren't we just trying to force 3 clock applets into
> one?

No way. There's only one clock keeping time of day in your computer.  You're
just changing what you want it to look like, and when you change they,
there's some associated options for you to tweak.

I like the idea of dividing the clock's config into three panels.  Another
alternative would be to reduce the number of effective options by hiding all
of the clock specific options behind a Detailed Configuration button.
On this note, I definitely support eliminating the anti-aliasing box.

To me, a deeper problem is the division between setting the time, which so far
is in System-> Date and Time, and changing the clock's look, which I don't
know where to find in the control panel.  While the logical division is
obvious if you know all the things in your computer that rely on the system
time (and hence why only root can set time), if not, it seems somewhat
mysterious to have setting in one place and changing the look in a completely
different place.
I also think the "Date and Time Format" item should be removed from the
clock's context menu, because:
I tend to think that for almost everyone, Date and Time format is a one-time
setting: you follow the convention of the place you live in.  So I'rather see
it live only with Country & Language.
Does anyone have examples of when someone might want to change this around a
lot?

Cheers,

Eric