List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: How about a first-time interactive tutorial
From:       Michael Peligro <optimus () philwebinc ! com>
Date:       2002-08-24 18:01:20

On Friday 23 August 2002 3:24 am, Gordon Tyler wrote:

> I also don't think a game-like tutorial would be seen as particular
> professional. Some older users would be put off by it (I know I certainly
> would and I'm not that old ;) and not continue with the tutorial. So then
> they struggle on their own and end up with a bad impression of KDE.  I
> really think this would be best done in in a simple, professional style
> that clearly explains how things work with diagrams and _maybe_ animations
> if really necessary. A game-like tutorial to KDE may be a good idea for
> kids, but definitely not for any serious user.

Game-like tutorial are fun if done right.

Usability principle: A picture is worth a thousand words. Even better if it
moves. Easy-to-visualize and easy-to-follow if users have a moving animation
to emulate. Plus, moving pictures/graphics provide visual feedback all
throughout. KDE is a GUI, not a manual page to slog through. Learning a UI is
effective when done visually. The less text, the better.

Regards,
Michael