List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kicker-annoyance
From:       Roland Seuhs <roland () hasos ! com>
Date:       2002-08-23 23:02:42

Am Samstag, 24. August 2002 00:42 schrieb Roland Seuhs:
> Am Freitag, 23. August 2002 19:05 schrieb Zaborowski, Ed, Ctr, AFPCA/OAC:
> > Perhaps a confirmation box that pops up, asking if they want to move
> > kicker, with the ability to, "Don't ask again".
>
> Yes, that would be great, but is anybody *really* using this feature be it
> on KDE or on Windows?
>
> Those few people that actually move the menubar somewhere else are
> generally computer-literate enough that one can expect them to find
> kcontrol.
>
> Not that I'm against that confirmation box, I just think it's a wasted
> effort.

I just might want to add that the confirmation box only makes sense when it removes \
this useless move-the-kicker feature forever.

Just to have a confirmation box that doesn't change the current behaviour is quite \
useless.

This is no productivity-feature (it is actually working against it), it's a \
configuration-feature. Config-stuff belongs into kcontrol and maybe in the \
context-menu, but the user-interface should not be bloated with configuration stuff \
in day-to-day use, IMO. If you right-click on kicker and choose "configure panel" the \
very first option is the position of the panel, so I really, really don't think that \
anybody has to be afraid of users not finding that option in the very rare case they \
want to change their panel position.

Just because something is in Windows doesn't make it right.

Roland

--
"The trouble with being punctual is that nobody's there to appreciate
it."  -- Franklin P. Jones