List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Icons control page, first draft...
From:       Michael Pye <mp () fuckmicrosoft ! com>
Date:       2002-08-22 22:07:38

On Thursday 22 August 2002 9:43 pm, Poletti Don wrote:
> Ok I got it to a Linux box. Definely an improvement. The old
> one has a serious amateur look to it. The two step browse
> and install of theme needed replacing and it saves space.
>
> You left out the animate and double pixel boxes.

D'oh! <smacks forehead>

> I would remove the "effects" group box. Not the widgets
> just the group box. There are way too many boxes on your dialog
> and nested group boxes are against the style guide.

Understood. If I have a vice, it is probably nested group boxes! :P

> I would see
> if you could lose the box around the preview Icons as well. Actually
> I don't see the need for any group boxes maybe you could work
> in something more subtle than group boxes to break it up
> a bit.

Hmm. I'm now thinking it isn't quite organised right. The icon type selection
should be OUTSIDE the size and effects group...

> There are many things wrong with the 3 effects icons/buttons.
> Not that have change this but since you opened this can of worms.
> - These really are advanced setting I'm not sure I would want them on the
> base dialog no matter how simple.

Possibly. But perhaps a combo box of preset effects would be OK, or just a
checkbox for "Highlight when under mouse" and an advanced panel for the type
of highlight...

> - The 3 buttons open the same dialog just for different (I have no
> idea what to call it) (default/active/disable)

Agreed.

> - What is the difference between default/active and disabled anyway. How
> do I disable a desktop icon? These are programmer terms Joe average will
> have no idea what to do. As a Programmer I'm not entire sure what these
> terms mean.

I had thought about trying a different turn of phrase to make it more obvious.

> - These fall into the category of too much customization IMO. But there
> is always an outcry if the usability group every tries to reduce
> functionality
> no matter how little used or complicated.

> Sorry I've complained a lot about the customization but haven't given you
> a better idea.

Well, it has set the old thoughts in motion. If it's any consolation, I will
probably think about this far too much instead of sleeping tonight.

Cheers.

MP